DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
When the College was established in the year 1988, Economics was incorporated as one of the main subjects to be studied and henceforth the department of Economics came into existence. In 33 years of its journey, the department has catered and produced many students, both general and honours students. Currently, the department has three faculty members, who are devoting their time not only in teaching but have been doing and working on research and publish works also.
The department of Economics, under semester systems, offers the following courses in the subject, which includes, Introductory Economic Theory, Development and Environmental Economics and Indian Economy as Elective papers in Economics. Mathematics for Economists, Advanced Economic Theory, International Economics, Statistics and Public Economics as Honours papers in Economics.
In addition to the course, the admission process is open to all the students, who are willing to opt for Economics as the subject. But for those students who want to opt Economics as a major subject, it is encouraged that they should have a good percentage in class 12th to be able to cope up with the subject. The admission and tuition fees also is less as compared to other colleges and institutions in the district and the state.
Scopes and opportunities for the students of Economics are plenty as compared to other subjects. Apart from teaching, job and employment opportunities for the students of Economics are available in private and public sectors of the state and central governments, banking and financial institutions, companies, and even in the civil services such as IAS, IES, etc.
The facility of the department is equipped with the college library, which has around 500 numbers of books, journals, articles and reports related to economic matters.
The vision of the department is to make the department more vibrant and also the leading department of the College in terms of teaching and learning, research and policy implications on matters of economic development in the state and in the country as a whole.
Subject Combination Available
|Elective group (choose any two elective subjects from the group)
|Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Education
|Economics, History, Sociology, Education
|Political Science, History, Sociology
|Introductory Economic Theory
|Development and Environmental Economics
|Mathematics for Economists
|Advanced Economic Theory and international Economics
|Statistics and Public Economics
- The department of Economics offers the following courses in the subject, which includes Introductory Economic Theory, Development and Environmental Economics and Indian Economy as Elective papers in Economics. Mathematics for Economists, Advanced Economic Theory, International Economics, Statistics and Public Economics as Honours papers in Economics.
- Economics graduates are expected to be absorbed to job and employment opportunities. The placement rates of Economics graduates will be up to the optimum levels.
- Faculty members of the department are encouraging to be more productive in terms of teaching and learning. Research grants and funding levels is important to increase its productivity.
- Students are taught to equip with the knowledge on the subject, based on economic principles such as consumer's behavior ,producer's behaviour, market structures, etc. Students are also familiar with the Statistical and Mathematical tools and methods, used and applied in Economics.
- Economics graduate sare able to understand the concept of public finance, revenue collection in terms of taxation and its principles and incidences, forms of business enterprises. They should have the basic knowledge on development, growth, models of development,contribution of education, health, nutrition in economic development, rural development and entrepreneurship development, tourism, sustainable development and environmental sustainability. Students are able to develop ideas of basic features of Indian Economy and various economic problem in respect of structural change, income inequality, poverty, unemployment, population,infrastructure, balance of payment, money and banking, financial institutions such as IMF, World Bank, WTO, etc.
- Economics graduates should be able to understand the concept of probability, sampling and hypothesis testing and basic concept of econometrics. They should have the basic knowledge on computer operating system and basic statistical software application. Based on statistics and statistical software, students would be able to investigate and prepare project works and reports related to economic matters.
- To understand economic growth and development.
- To understand the concept of sustainable development.
- To look into gender related issues in contemporary India.
- To understand the overall development of the scope and subject matter of the Economics.
|Year of Joining
|Dr. Wallamlaibor Lyngkhoi
|M.A., NET, PhD
|Mr. Fletchester Jyrwa
|Smt. Kordor Salahe
|To be appointed shortly
Active participation in all activities organized by the college such as seminars, workshops, etc. Also attended the programmes organized by other institutions within the state and the country. However, the department could not organize its own programme or activity during the period but hope that in the future it would carry out and organize some programnmes, which is helpful for the students, the teachers and the research scholars.
1. Class XI and XII Economics
2. B.A. Economics